Golf is a sport that is not necessarily hindered by inclement weather, and many golfers pride themselves on being “all weather” players. But be aware that lightning and golf do not mix.
Golf and Lightning Facts:
- 30% of lightning fatalities occur while playing golf
- The United States' National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association says that five-percent of all lightning deaths and injuries in the United States happen on golf courses.
- Lightning has struck during professional golf tournaments, most infamously at the 1975 Western Open. Lee Trevino, Jerry Heard and Bobby Nichols were struck by lightning, knocked unconscious. All suffered burns and the strikes caused Trevino and Heard back injuries that required surgery.
Stay safe while on the green and remember, golf, no matter how great a game is not worth risking your life.
What to Do if You’re Stranded on the Green During a Storm:
- Do not stand under tall trees or sit in a golf cart. Do not stand under a lone tree, even a small one.
- You must get away from your cart and away from your golf clubs quickly.
- Stay away from water.
- If you are old-school and have metal spikes on, take them off.
- If stranded in the open, go to a low place such as a ravine or valley, or the lowest spot you can find.
Many golf courses have a lightning detection system. However, these courses are wide and it may take time to notify all golfers. You can receive alerts sooner with TALOS®️ Lightning Detector.
TALOS®️ Lightning Detection System
Thunder can be heard from up to 10 miles away, but lightning can strike from 25 MILES AWAY. With the ability to distinguish between a false disturbance and actual lightning, you can trust the alerts are detecting imminent danger in real time.
Get instant audible and visual alerts when lightning is within 25 miles. When alerts are received, golfers should seek safety immediately.
Use lightning safety solutions developed by TALOS®️ to improve situational awareness of approaching & departing storms and keep golfers safe.
Safety isn’t an option, it’s essential!
- 25 mile detection range
- The BRIGHTEST visual alerts: 3 colors to indicate distance of approaching or departing storms
- Green: 25 miles
- Blue: 16 miles
- Red: 6 miles
- The LOUDEST audible Alerts
- 1 beep for Green: 25 miles
- 2 beeps for Blue: 16 miles
- 3 beeps for Red: 6 miles
- Provides awareness of dangerous lightning in the area
- Robust design for rugged applications
- High rate of accuracy
- Same technology as expensive weather stations
- No Wifi or data connection needed
- Real time instant alerts
- Innovative technology minimizes false indicators
- Antenna auto tuning for optimal detection
- Detection of lightning activity
Rugged & Durable Lightning Detection Device for Golf Courses
The TALOS®️ Lightning Safety Device for Rugged Applications (SFD-1000-G) can be used interchangeably. Permanently mount the base to easily observe alerts. Or easily detach the unit and take it with you wherever you go and stay in the know when lightning storms are in the area.